Detailed and long-term planning together with early intervention is the key for successful long-term and effective sea lice control.
Salmon louse is a common term referring to different sea lice attaching to the skin of salmonids. Depending on location, the species will differ, but the common denominator is that they can rapidly reproduce in high amounts and be harmful for the fish.
Under farming conditions, the increased number of available hosts combined with high reproductive potential implies that we need to control sea lice to ensure optimal fish welfare.
To control sea lice, we can use a wide variety of different approaches, among these are pharmaceutical bath treatments.
Salmosan®Vet is an approved veterinary medicine used globally since 2009 to control sea lice. It is recognized as a sustainable, gentle and effective treatment option, and contains the active ingredient azamethiphos.
Pharmaceutical bath treatments should form a part of a rotational treatment programme of sea lice where a combination of pharmaceuticals, non-medicinal and biological treatments are included to avoid the build-up of resistance in the sea lice population.
Our new formulation differentiates Salmosan® Vet from other azamethiphos products and allows:
- Greater practicality at higher temperatures leading to greater efficacy
- Intensive safety trial work has demonstrated that Salmosan® Vet can be used for a full 1-hour treatment at temperatures up to 15®C
- Salmon can be treated with confidence and without veterinary deviation from the data sheet
- More effective treatment lessens the chance of resistance in the lice population
- Increased Shelf Life
- Shelf life is 36 months, demonstrating increased product stability
- Improved ingredient base leading to increased acceptance of the product to a number of regulatory authorities, while not changing potency against sealice
Salmosan® Vet is manufactured in the UK under EU GMP standards by an established, publically listed UK company (AIM) with a history of reliable product supply and distribution.
Salmosan® Vet is supported by the world’s leading aquaculture veterinary service team. Our team of professionals offer extensive knowledge of sea lice control and salmonid aquaculture in general. Our support services include bioassays, training, medication administration advice and global pharmacovigilance.
Benchmark Animal Health carries out global safety surveillance in-line with relevant local legislation, to ensure the ongoing monitoring of the impact of our products on animal and human health, and the environment.